The University of London has agreed to a multi-million pound refurbishment for the IALS building starting in July 2018. Additional necessary funding for the project will be sought through a fundraising campaign.
The building, its seminar rooms / lecture theatre and the main reading rooms of the Library will remain open during the two-year programme of works. There will be some noise and disruption and temporary arrangements for entry to the Library and for the Issue & Enquiry desk. Watch out for news bulletins.
Noise Level Testing - Monday 25 June 2018
As part of the preparations for the planned transformation works at IALS, it is important to determine those more noisy works which need to be done at agreed times.
From around 11.30am until early evening on Monday 25th June 2018 we will be testing the noise levels for a range of activities (drilling, cutting etc) on the 5th, 4th and 2nd floors.
Tests will be in short bursts and will be acoustically monitored from various locations. Members of the Project Team will be on hand throughout the day. If you have any queries or concerns please email the Project Officer, email@example.com
Books are being moved from shelves in the area around the Library lift on the 2nd floor in anticipation of the major refurbishment project which will be starting in July 2018.
This area is where the temporary Admissions Desk and temporary Issue & Enquiry Desk will be located.
Summer 2018: Schedule of work
We are looking forward to major work commencing on the IALS Transformation Project.
- From Thursday 31 May 2018: Academic and Administrative offices move from IALS 5th floor to 1 Malet Street (Dilke House) Bloomsbury, London WC1E 7JN. The Sir William Dale Centre for Legislative Studies will remain in room 509a on the 5th floor at IALS.
- From Monday 4 June 2018: Enabling work commences on IALS 5th floor and in lift lobbies. Noisy work during opening hours will be kept to a minimum.
- From Monday 11 June 2018: Preparatory work to establish the temporary entrance to the Library and Issue & Enquiry Desk on IALS 2nd floor. Noisy work during opening hours will be kept to a minimum.
- From Monday 2 July 2018: Library staff and training room move to IALS 5th floor.
- Week beginning Monday 9 July 2018: Temporary entrance to the Library opens on 2nd floor. More detail and specific dates to follow when available.
- Week beginning Monday 9 July 2018: IALS 4th floor closes. Work commences to create a new reading room on the 4th floor. Noisy work during opening hours will be kept to a minimum. More detail and specific dates to follow when available.
The project will replace the infrastructure with new heating, cooling, ventilation, cabling and wifi. IALS Library will be completely refurbished and re-designed in the upcoming refurbishment. We will be able to offer a new 2nd floor entrance looking out on to Russell Square, 50 additional study desks, bookable group study and training rooms, special needs room, 10 additional lockable library research carrels, new desk and chair furniture throughout the library, more control over our reading room heating and cooling, more self-issue laptops and improved IT services. A new dedicated study room outside the library on the 5th floor of the building will be created for IALS PhD students. This major project will take around two years but we will remain open throughout.
Find out more and follow the progress of the project at: http://ials.sas.ac.uk/about/ials-transformation-project